What is the Annual Giving Program?
The Annual Giving Program is a yearly fundraiser raises the money that is needed for the current-year operating expenses. It makes up 9% of this year's school operating budget, providing support for essential programs and people at St. Matthew’s Parish School. Annual Giving contributions are high impact: every dollar goes to help every student and every teacher in this community this year. All gifts to The Annual Giving Program are fully tax-deductible.
What does Annual Giving support?
Annual Giving supports everything that sustains the St. Matthew's Parish School experience, including:
- Professional enrichment programs and benefits to attract and retain outstanding faculty and staff.
- Cutting-edge, age-appropriate technology education at all grade levels.
- Athletic programs to build character and teach healthy competition and sportsmanship.
- Opportunities for students’ creative expression and personal growth in the visual and performing arts.
- Financial aid and tuition remission for talented and deserving students.
- Ongoing maintenance of our 28-acre campus including facilities, gardens, playing fields, and grounds.
Recent projects and opportunities funded by Annual Giving gifts include:
- An additional Harkness Conference Table for Language Arts collaborative learning
- Computer and iPad upgrades and replacement
- SMART TVs for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th-grade classrooms
- Student restroom refurbishment
- Ceiling retractable electrical outlets in LaunchPad maker space for K-4 students
- Professional development for our administrators, faculty and staff
- VR and AR training
- Meadow upgrade, garden maintenance and brush clearance
- Middle School outdoor digital notice board
- Flip Forms versatile platforms to enhance Drama and Music Productions
- and much more
Annual Giving supports this year's programs and people. Your generosity has an immediate impact!
Who donates to The Annual Giving Program?
We ask every school family to make an annual giving contribution. St. Matthew's has a strong tradition of 100% participation in Annual Giving by faculty and staff, trustees, and parents. Alumni, Alumni Parents, Grandparents, Special Friends, and Foundations give to the Annual Giving Fund. To view a list of donors during the campaign, please log in to the parent portal. All donors are listed in our Annual Report, distributed early Fall to donors and select members of our community.
We encourage everyone who has a special relationship with St. Matthew's to show their support with a gift to the school. Each year, we count on the generosity of parents, grandparents, alumni, faculty and staff, businesses, foundations, and special friends in order to make our Annual Giving Campaign a success.
How much should I give?
Contributions of every size are important and help us reach our goals. We ask all members of the community to support St. Matthew's Annual Giving Program to the best of their ability and we encourage parents to make St. Matthew's a top philanthropic priority.
Tuition is less than the true cost of a St. Matthew's education. As with most independent schools, we rely on Annual Giving contributions for a portion of the school's annual operating budget, making up the difference between tuition income and the cost of educating our students. Contributions are 100% tax-deductible. Tuition payments are not.
For 2019-2020, this amount is $3,100 per student. Please see below for our recognition giving levels.
1949 Society $50,000 and up *
Vanguard $25,000 - $49,999 *
Head of School $15,000 - $24,999 *
Bienveneda $10,000 - $14,999 *
Friend $4,500 - $9,999 *
Falcon up to $4,499
* Donors who contribute at Friend Level or above are invited to a special Friends reception.
How is my gift recognized?
Donors are recognized in our online Annual Giving Honor Roll on the intranet (requires parent login), in the Annual Report on Philanthropy (published in October), as well as on the Honor Roll displayed at the Sprague Center throughout the year. The first Honor Roll is displayed mid-December 2019.
When should I make my gift?
The school will invite all parents to pledge in early November. We ask parents to pledge as soon after the letter is received as they are able. Pledge by January 31, 2020, and payments are be appreciated before June 1, 2020. Current families yet to participate will receive reminders from the Advancement Office and Board of Trustees.
Many employers match gifts. Check with your employer if they do too. Donors are recognized at the combined amount of your gift and the matching gift.
Who should I call with questions?
Please feel free to contact the Advancement Office with any questions you have. Michaela Carmichael, Assistant Director of Advancement: 310.454.1350 ext. 156
Ready to make your gift? See Ways of Giving for more information.